Who Are We…
The University of the Free State (UFS) is one of the oldest institutions of higher education in South Africa. Established in 1904, we produce sought-after graduates across seven faculties (Economic and Management Sciences, Education, Health Sciences, the Humanities, Law, Natural and Agricultural Sciences, Theology and Religion) on three campuses (two in Bloemfontein and one in Qwaqwa in the Eastern Free State). We create opportunities and growth through leading learning and teaching, focused research, and impactful engagement with society.
What We Do…
Our students are holistically supported to achieve some of the highest success rates in the country and they are therefore highly employable. We produce research with industry and social impact and real-world application. Our culture promotes equity, ubuntu, and accountability. We address challenges and issues as they emerge, and we deal with them openly in a way that promotes social justice and human rights.
We Uniquely Offer…
- The Afromontane Research Unit (ARU), situated on our Qwaqwa Campus, which researches the largely under-explored mountainous landscapes of Southern Africa.
- The South African National Control Laboratory for Biological Products (SANCLBP), situated on our Bloemfontein Campus. It is the only recognised national control laboratory to perform lot release testing of human vaccines for South Africa and is also assisting some neighbouring countries in this regard.
- The South African Doping Control Laboratory (SADoCoL), which is an ISO17025 and World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)-accredited service laboratory that tests athletes for performance enhancing drugs to ensure drug-free sport.
- The Boyden Observatory and Naval Hill Planetarium, offering research opportunities and an immersive digital experience, respectively.
- The African Medicines Innovations and Technology Development Platform (AMITD), which is a trailblazer in the field of indigenous knowledge.
- Projects with potential commercial value being developed on the UFS Paradys Experimental Farm at the Agribusiness Park, including a brewery and cheese factory.
Our Impactful Research Areas…
- Local and regional socio-economic development
- Food security and production, as well as land reform
- Regional, national and global health
- Human rights, social justice, and reconciliation
In the heart of South Africa, to experience our character of caring and diversity while gaining all the knowledge and skills you need to make a valuable contribution to the world.